Sunday, September 8, 2013

Carson Alan Lowry

So, I realize that I have been a MAJOR blog slacker! My last post was to announce the gender of our baby and that was in September!!! Carson Alan was born Thursday January 31, 2013 at 1:07p.m. weighing 8 pounds 6 ounces and 21 1/2 inches long!  He is absolutely precious and fits right in with our family! He is now just over 6 weeks old and doing great. He is a total momma's boy and I must admit, I LOVE it! :) He isn't the greatest sleeper, but I really shouldn't complain. Camryn was just an awesome sleeper and I would say he is probably better than most babies when it comes to sleep. Some nights he does fantastic and other nights he thinks it is daytime. Here is Carson's delivery story:
I had a scheduled induction the morning of the 31st due to our drive to the hospital and the chance that the weather could be bad. Mark, Emily and I left for the hospital at 3:12a.m. to get down there in time because the weather reports called for snow and freezing rain. We had to be at the hospital by 5:30a.m. Needless to say we got there in PLENTY of time! :) I just didn't want to chance not getting there! They started the induction at 6:00a.m. with pitocin and then broke my water later that morning. Things are a little blurry for me after my water was broken. My doctor told me I would probably be begging for an epidural shortly...I kept holding off and holding off...(note to self..DO NOT HOLD OFF if I have any children in the future)!!! I decided to get the epidural around 11:00 and was only 4cm, I got temporary relief from the epidural and decided to take a nap since I didn't sleep the night before. My nap was short lived due to a lot of pain. They called the resident in and she checked me...still 4. I was bummed. The pain didn't reside and I was getting VERY uncomfortable. I called the nurse and she called for a booster for my epidural. After the anesthesiologist left, they checked me again...it was time! I had gone from 4-10 in a half hour. I couldn't believe it! They told me the epidural wasn't going to work...the thought in my head was OH NO...I am going to have to feel this! The nurses reassured me that I would be so relieved when this was all over! They were right. Dr. C arrived and Carson was ready to make his debut. He decided to scare us though and his heart rate dropped. Dr. C had to use the vacuum and the NICU had to be called. Carson arrived and was okay, but not breathing as he should have been. He sounded like he was talking to us, but the nurses said that was not a good sign and that he may have fluid in his lungs. A doctor from the NICU checked him out and said he was okay and we were taken up to our room. However, later that evening he was still struggling. They took him down to the nursery and ran a tube down his nose to suction him out. After that, he seemed to be doing much better! Woohoo! :) We got to come home from the hospital on Saturday afternoon and could not wait to introduce Camryn to her little brother. (we were not able to bring Camryn to the hospital due to flu restrictions). Below is a picture of Carson at the hospital. He is such an amazing blessing to our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment